Hello hello! So excited for my first post of 2019, which just so happens to be my 22nd birthday. Because today is my birthday, I thought it would be fun to share 22 style tips I’ve learned over the years. Buckle up, because this is a long one…
- Accessories make the outfit! I’ll admit that this is sometimes a hard one for me, especially when it comes to choosing jewelry (I pretty much wear the same pieces every day). But choosing the right necklace, or even adding a belt can add a subtle touch to your outfit you didn’t know you were missing.
- To tuck or not to tuck. I’m a big fan of the half-tuck, but there’s almost an art to deciding when to do a full tuck, a half-tuck, or leave your top untucked. This one decision can really change up your look.
- Decide your outfit the night before. If you decide what you’re going to wear the next day, you cut down on your getting ready time, plus you’ll know if you need to iron/steam anything in advance!
- Mix high and low. You can make any outfit instantly more chic by pairing your high-end and low-end pieces together.
- Know when to tailor. As a petite person, there are a lot of times when clothes just don’t fit right, which is when it’s time to invest in tailoring. Just know when to buy and tailor, or skip the purchase all together.
- Have a signature piece. For me this is actually a few pieces (my watch, ring, and earrings). These are little accessories that make the outfit unique to you.
- Mix it up! It’s easy to fall into a routine where you pair the same pieces over and over. Try mixing different items if you can (it helps to have a friend go through your closet and see what they would pair together).
- Don’t be afraid of new trends! I’m pretty fast to jump on new trends that I like, but this can be hard. But, if you step outside your comfort zone you might love the results!
- Don’t be afraid to skip new trends. On the other hand, you don’t always need to follow the crowd. If you really don’t like a trend, don’t feel pressured to jump on the band wagon.
- Be inspired! I’m constantly on Instagram, Pinterest, and the internet looking for new ways to be inspired. Don’t just look at people who have your exact style, look at other styles for fresh ideas.
- Tuck in your pockets! I always forget to do this and my mom yells at me, but having your pockets hanging inside out looks like you didn’t look at yourself in the mirror before you left.
- Protect your shoes. I recently messed up a pair of suede shoes and definitely regretted not spraying them with protectant before wearing them out.
- Know your sizing. When it comes to online shopping, not every site offers free returns, so if something doesn’t fit, you’re out of luck. You will be more successful if you know some of your measurements (bust, waist, etc.).
- Shop boutiques! Sometimes you want that one piece that everyone owns, but other times it’s fun to have something unique!
- Know when to invest. My mom always said to invest in good shoes! I usually opt for a nicer pair because I know it’ll last longer and be less likely to kill my feet.
- Know when to go for the cheaper option. Trends come and go faster than you think. If it seems like a trend that isn’t likely to stay around, go for a cheaper option rather than wasting money on something you’ll only wear a couple times.
- Start with staples. When building your wardrobe there are a few pieces that never go out of style (a white tee, a camel coat, an LBD, etc.). Start with those and then gradually add trendier pieces.
- Break the rules. There used to be so many fashion rules (don’t wear white after Labor Day, don’t mix black and brown) but now it’s anything goes! Don’t be afraid to wear something because of outdated “rules.”
- Create your “uniform.” On days you are running late and can’t think of something to wear, it’s nice to have an outfit that you can always fall back on.
- Don’t underestimate the power of dressing up. There’s just something about picking the perfect outfit that completely changes my mindset. If I look good, I usually feel good. It’s a great way to life your mood.
- If you’re uncomfortable, don’t wear it. There are so many times I like an outfit or piece of clothing in theory, but in reality I don’t feel comfortable wearing it. If it doesn’t make me feel good, I don’t wear it.
- Be yourself! Fashion and style is all about expressing yourself, so let your personality shine through in the way you present yourself to the world.
Thanks for stopping by! I hope these tips were useful!